Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What's Cookin' Wednesday

Baked Spaghetti


This is a Paula Deen recipe and it is delicious . . . super delicious . . . like, so good I can't stop eating it. It is so good, sometimes when I hear love songs on the radio I actually think of Baked Spaghetti. That is why I'd be lying if I claimed we were really having it for dinner tonight. (Sorry, John.) We're actually having sweet potatoes, ham, veggies, and salad. But, if I could control myself, we'd definitely be having Baked Spaghetti.

Ingredients
2 cups canned diced tomatoes
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup water
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 small bay leaves
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup grated Monterey Jack


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a stockpot, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, seasoning mixtures, sugar, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat and let simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Crumble the ground beef in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until fully cooked, with no pink color remaining. Drain the fat from the meat, and then add the ground beef to the stockpot. Simmer for 20 more minutes. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Cover the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan with sauce. Add a layer of pasta and then a little less than 1/2 of each cheese; repeat the layers, ending with the sauce. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Top the casserole with the remaining cheese, return it to the oven, and continue to cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 more minutes. Cut into squares before serving.


Makes 11 servings (but not if you're feeding me those servings)


House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

And . . . as always, some music to cook by. This one's dedicated to my love, Baked Spaghetti. Someday when I'm not pregnant anymore and I'm able to exhibit an ounce of self-control, I'll eat you again. Until then, I'll just be missing you like crazy . . .



And I'm not old . . . even if I do remember this song from 1990.

7 comments:

Jillene said...

I LOVE Paula Deen!! She is my absolute favorite. I haven't seen this recipe but it sounds DELISH!! I think I will have to try it.

Kristina P. said...

This sounds delicious! When can you make it for me?

OhioFamOf4 said...

OMG, I used to LOVE that song, lol.

Kate said...

Um... wasn't your last post about NOT being old and then you go and throw in that song?!? hmmmm....

I second the recipe... it is YUMMY!!!

The High Family said...

Mmmmm....sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

I LOVE THIS SONG...totally brought back those Jr. High memories. :)

Mary said...

I just realized Natalie Cole looks a lot like Michelle Obama, minus the evil eyebrows. I will have to make that recipe. Currently, I have an undying love for any sort of chowder containing heavy cream.

Laura said...

I loved this song!! Did you get a look at those earrings and that mini-skirt! I couldn't get my butt in a mini-skirt these days if I tried!! Thanks for the memories!