Thursday, September 11, 2008

A New Tradition

We started a new tradition this year . . . baking cupcakes for the firefighters in honor of September 11.


It is important to me that Megan get a sense of what a "hero" means, and how important it is to remember the people who are willing to risk their lives for us.


Making the cupcakes was great fun . . . giving them away was another story. Megan cried almost the whole way to the firehouse, begging us for permission to eat them ALL. She had one earlier but that didn't seem to be enough for her voracious appetite.










Megan was really afraid at the firehouse. She kept begging us to hold her.



Colin, on the other hand, was "Junior Firefighter of the Year!" They even let him honk the horn on the firetruck.




This ladder truck, which I know from being on city council, is in need of replacement. It will cost $1,000,000 to replace. And you thought your car payment was high!!!






We stopped by the other city fire house as well. Megan still doesn't look too excited about giving away the cupcakes.


Checking out the inside of an ambulance.



That helmet is so ridiculously heavy! I can't believe they actually walk around while wearing it.


One of the firefighters told me it really meant a lot to him that a council member came by the fire house. While I'm glad about that, my visit wasn't political. Tonight, I was just a mommy trying to teach her daughter an important lesson about life. I hope she got the message.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea, Lisa!
Love, One of your secret admirers
(aka Ruth)