Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pregnancy Update - The Third Trimester

I'm still pregnant and growing rounder every day.


So round, in fact, that I started crying at the doctor's office yesterday and just couldn't seem to stop myself. I felt like a fool. Here's how it went:


Downstairs Doc: How are you feeling?


Me: *sniffle* I am so fat. I don't know what's wrong with me.


Downstairs Doc: You're pregnant. (hands me a tissue)


Me: *sob* But I weigh more than my husband.


Downstairs Doc: Your husband isn't pregnant.


Then I imagined St. John wearing a pair of my maternity great-grandma panties and all of a sudden I felt a little better :)


Seriously, I am doing just great going into the third trimester. My blood pressure was 93/60 and my glucose tolerance test was perfect. My back pain subsided quite a bit once I started walking instead of doing step aerobics. Weird, huh?


I'm doing so well that my doctor said I should come back in 4 weeks instead of the typical biweekly visits in the third trimester.


I'm pretty good at being pregnant. Now if only I was as good at the whole birthing thing . . .


We're still on for a planned c-section on August 17 but I can't help but continue debating trying a natural delivery. I'm not good at taking it easy after the birth and I'm not looking forward to the longer c-section recovery. (Last time I did sit ups and tore open my incision. Dumb I know!)


On the other hand, I think if I tried for a VBAC I would have to skip the epidural and really try to walk around to get the baby through my pelvis. Then I become very concerned I'm just not woman enough for that. I know my limitations.


And the debate rages on . . .

3 comments:

Ruth Dunkman said...

Glad you're doing so well, Lisa! Don't think of it as weight--think of it as your sacrificing your body for a season in order to give your baby enough nutrition to grow super-excellent brain cells.

(At least this is what I told myself when I gained a ton with each of my kids!)

Luv ya!

Jillene said...

You are too hard on yourself. Being pregnant is an AMAZING thing. You are gaining the weight to sustain the bab and make him grow big and strong. And just think--you could have had my first pregnancy--where I contracted Toxemia in my fourth month. Even though I was SUPER sick and threw up from 2am until Noon EVERYDAY--the Toxemia managed to help me gain 72 lbs. Good times.

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

no epidural...ugh. I had my first like that and would not do it again. Had epidurals for the second and third. Much better. But I didnt have any C-section offered. I may have chosen that instead of all the pushing. Good luck!!