Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tales from the Man Cave


Ever have a completely circular argument with your spouse, and in the middle of it realize how ridiculous and circular it really is, causing you both to break down into laughter rather than complete (win) the argument?

Before I describe this ridiculousness, I should tell you that John's office has a couch and TV in it. I should also tell you he falls asleep watching TV in this office more often than I would like.
It never fails that when he is downstairs in his office, Brendan and Megan both tag team their wake ups, keeping me up all night while he is blissfully unaware in the confines of his "man cave."

I should also tell you that John and I both used to share the philosophy of no TV in the bedroom. We used to think it interfered with the marital relationship and prevented that evening "pillow talk" so we never put one in our room. I changed my mind when Megan started waking up at the crack of dawn and I realized I would be able to stay in bed for another hour if I only had a TV in my bedroom. Who has energy for "pillow talk" anyway? I mean, seriously. We've agreed to disagree (not really.)

So last night as I was going up to bed, here is the argument conversation:

L: I'm going to bed. You better be coming with me and not falling asleep in this office.
J: Why does it bug you so much that I fall asleep down here?
L: Because it interferes with the marital relationship. You're supposed to sleep up in bed with me (so I can kick you when one of the kids is crying and ask you to go get them.)
J: I'm sorry. Sometimes I have a hard time falling asleep and I watch TV until I drift off.
L: Another reason why we should just put a TV in our bedroom.
J: No, it interferes with the marital relationship!

*Ridiculous laughter, argument over*

Ummm, hello? A TV in the bedroom can't interfere with the marital relationship if you're not even in the bedroom.
I think I won. Don't you?

2 comments:

Jillene said...

You win. Hands down.

Ruth Dunkman said...

I drift off every night listening to my iPod on a 15 minute timer. Compromise? (I love sharing ridiculous laughter with Bob, too, BTW!)