Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Little Miss Independent

Last week was Megan's first day of preschool.
We enrolled her in the school at our church, two days a week for two hours at at time.
She was so excited the night before she couldn't sleep.
She got up at 5:30 am which is so unusual for her.
She chose her own outfit . . .
and got a brand new Dora backpack to hang in her own little cubby #5.
It just might be the ugliest backpack I've even seen (absolutely uglier than the polka dot one I had my eye on.) I felt myself grow as a human being when I allowed her to choose her own. Mommies have milestone moments too you know :)
Actually, watching her wear it with such pride made me so glad she chose her own.

My sister's son Colin is in her class too. What adorable little friends they are!

She was brave and independent and had no trouble at all adjusting to being away from us. Suspecting she would be this way, I reminded her on the way to school that some kids might cry because they were afraid of being away from their mommies and daddies. I told her to make sure she was especially kind to those children. Processing what I said while she spoke she replied, "Oh . . . some kids get sad when they are away from their mommies and daddies. Well, not me. When I'm away from you I get happy." Well then, Miss Megan!
I couldn't help but linger around in the hallway, watching Megan through the window (with crocodile tears in my eyes.) The teacher came up to me and asked if I was concerned about separation anxiety and asked who my child was. It was slightly embarassing to tell her that I was the one having problems with separation anxiety (while Megan acted like she didn't know me.) C'mon now, I just had a baby and am just a teeny bit hormonal!
And here is Little Miss Independent, pushing her baby brother all by herself.
I'm so proud of her capable, determined attitude.
I'm so proud of her!

2 comments:

Kati said...

How awesome is that! Really. She is adorable!

Miss Serenity starts preschool tomorrow.. and I am pretty sure I will be one with the anxiety issues as well. She is amped!!

I too let her chose her own hideous backpack.. and umbrella.. ahh! Mommy moment success!!!

Ruth Dunkman said...

I laughed until I had tears running down my face. Thanks, Lisa!